Ralph T.H. Griffith, Translator
DECADE I Agni
1. Come, Agni, praised with song, to feast and sacrificial offering: sit
As Hotar on the holy grass!
2. O Agni, thou hast been ordained Hotar of every sacrifice,
By Gods, among the race of men.
3. Agni we choose as envoy, skilled performer of this holy rite,
Hotar, possessor of all wealth.
4. Served with oblation, kindled, bright, through love of song may Agni, bent
On riches, smite the Vritras dead!
5. I laud your most beloved guest like a dear friend, O Agni, him
Who, like a chariot, wins us wealth.
6. Do thou, O Agni, with great might guard us from all malignity,
Yea, from the hate of mortal man!
7. O Agni, come; far other songs of praise will I sing forth to thee.
Wax mighty with these Soma-drops!
8. May Vatsa draw thy mind away even from thy loftiest dwelling place!
Agni, I yearn for thee with song.
9. Agni, Atharvan brought thee forth by rubbing from the sky, the head
Of all who offer sacrifice.
10. O Agni, bring us radiant light to be our mighty succour, for
Thou art our visible deity!